http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

"Transparency", "Continuum", "Accountability": Clearly A Long Beating

Today I was reacquainted with "Bollocks Bingo". In a previous life it came in handy when reviewing business plans. Try it. You might like it.

Which brings me to ...

"Transparency", "Continuum", and "Accountability" seem to have the greatest currency in the Social Enterprise realm. OK ... other than "Social Enterprise".

At a recent meeting, "transparency" was outlawed. For my money, it's "continuum" and "accountability" that make me want to shout "Bingo!!!!"

Please ... don't ask me to be "accountable", if you want me to be "responsible".

And, so what if we're on a "continuum". Where are we going to latch on and stake a claim??

It all makes me think of Alice at the tea party (with the Mad Hatter, March Hare, and Dormouse), esp. the part

`Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?' said the March Hare.

`Exactly so,' said Alice.

`Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on.

`I do,' Alice hastily replied; `at least--at least I mean what I say--that's the same thing, you know.'

`Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter. `You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'


Language is ... a funny thing.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Get Free Shots from Snap.com
Blog Network: